Legal Aid

The Skagit Volunteer Lawyer Program
The Skagit Volunteer Lawyer Program provides free legal assistance to low-income people in Skagit County. The Skagit Volunteer Lawyer Program relies on the volunteer services of local attorneys. Each year, Skagit County attorneys provide a range of legal assistance including advice and consultation, brief services and direct representation on a variety of civil legal issues.

The Skagit Volunteer Lawyer Program was founded in 1986 and is a partnership of the Skagit County Bar Association and Community Action of Skagit County. Attorneys interested in volunteering can contact the Volunteer Lawyer Program Manager Andy Dugan.

The Volunteer Lawyer Program Provides Legal Assistance in the Following Subject Areas:

  • Family Law (dissolution of marriage (divorce), parenting plans, child or spousal support, etc.)
  • Eviction and Other Serious Landlord/Tenant Issues (See paragraph below)
  • Advanced Planning Documents, including Powers of Attorney, Healthcare Directives, Wills and Estates
  • Consumer and Debt Issues
  • Real Property/Homeownership Issues
  • Criminal Record Sealing

Who is Eligible?

You may be eligible for assistance through the Skagit Volunteer Lawyer Program if the following apply:

  • You reside in or have a civil legal issue in Skagit County.
  • You have a civil (non-criminal legal) issue.
  • You do not already have an attorney for your legal issue.
  • Your gross income (before taxes) is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines:
Family Size Annual Monthly Weekly
1 $23,760 $1,980 $457
2 $32,040 $2,670 $616
3 $40,320 $3,360 $775
4 $48,600 $4,050 $935
5 $56,880 $4,740 $1,094
6 $65,160 $5,430 $1,253
7 $73,460 $6,122 $1,413
8 $81,780 $6,815 $1,573
Each Add’l $8,320 $693 $160

How to Apply for Help

Call the Northwest Justice Project’s CLEAR (Coordinated Legal Education, Advice and Referral) toll-free at 1-888-201-1014 or Apply Online.

Because of limited staffing CLEAR staff can only answer phones between 9:15 am and 12:15 pm, Monday through Friday. Start calling right at 9:15 a.m.! You might have to try several times over a couple of days before you get through to CLEAR staff. If you are over 60, you should contact CLEAR Senior. That toll-free number is 1-888-387-7111. CLEAR will first determine your income eligibility for assistance under program standards. You do not have to be low income to get advice from CLEAR Senior. When you call CLEAR, you may be able to talk to an attorney over the phone who will link you with the best available free legal resource for your situation.

If you are not able to apply online or get through to CLEAR after calling several times, please contact the Skagit Volunteer Lawyer Program at 360-416-7585.

Eviction Defense

Housing Justice Project
The Housing Justice Project is an exception where it is not strongly encouraged to first contact CLEAR. The Housing Justice Project provides the following services:

  • Advises tenants facing eviction or other serious rental housing issues;
  • Help answering eviction paperwork;
  • Negotiations with landlords for tenants facing eviction;
  • Representation of tenants at eviction (show cause) hearings; and
  • Provide resource information.

Who we serve: Low-income tenants residing in Skagit County. Residential tenants only—no business tenants or homeowners.

Where: Virtually every Friday morning during the Skagit County Superior Court’s civil motion calendar. Information about how to access these hearings is located on the Skagit County Superior Court’s website.

When: Friday morning at 9:30 am during the Skagit Court Superior Court’s virtual civil motion calendar. If the hearing is conducted by telephone or video conference, you may be able to request a continuance in order to speak with a volunteer attorney.

How to Contact Us Before Your Hearing: Email or call (360) 588-5316. Please leave a message with your name, phone number, and email. Please have as much of your paperwork available as possible! This includes your lease agreement, rent receipts, any paperwork from the landlord or landlord’s attorney, letters or emails to or from the landlord or to landlord’s attorney, and photos if applicable.

Legal Resources

Legal Service Providers

Northwest Justice Project – CLEAR Hotline: 1-888-201-1014. Provides legal information, advice and referrals to low-income people and seniors in Washington State.

Office of Assigned Counsel, Skagit: Determines eligibility for public defense for certain criminal and certain civil legal issues.

Skagit Family Law Facilitator: Provides assistance, coordination, development and direction of services relating to family law issues for unrepresented litigants.

Skagit Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services: Provides legal assistance with protection orders and restraining orders as well as other emergency services to survivors of domestic violence or sexual assault.

Catholic Community Services – Immigration Legal Services: Provides legal immigration assistance to low-income residents of Skagit, Whatcom, Island, San Juan, and Snohomish counties.

Northwest Immigrant Rights Project: Provides immigration assistance to residents of Washington State.

Legal Information

Washington Law Help: Self help materials and information about legal problems in Washington State, including do-it-yourself forms.

Skagit County Bar Association: Directory of Skagit County Attorneys including areas of practice.

Washington Courts: Provides case information, court rules, and contact information for all Washington Courts.

Washington Court Forms: Provides forms that are used statewide in Washington Courts.

U.S. Bankruptcy Court: Provides information about filing for bankruptcy in Washington State. Provides instructions for people filing bankruptcy without an attorney.

4th Corner Network Directories: Attorney Directories for Skagit, Whatcom and Island Counties

Washington State Bar Association: Provides a directory of all attorneys licensed to practice in the state of Washington, information about legal resources, and information about attorney discipline and complaints.

Questions / Preguntas

For questions, please call Community Action at 360-416-7585.
Para preguntas, por favor llame a Community Action a 360-416-7585.