The Robert M Gates Skagit Vets Connect opened in May of 2019. Community Action has been providing services to veterans since 1992, but the Robert and Becky Gates gift allowed us to open up a new, designated center just for veterans. The services center is funded by donations and you can contribute by visiting our donation page here.

Skagit Vet’s Connect is honored to serve veterans and their families with dignity, respect, and a commitment to excellence. Our goal is to increase veteran awareness of all benefits by providing the best advice and assistance in obtaining county, state, and federal benefits. We help stabilize lives, allow access to other wellness and career services they may need. Our professional staff act as an advocate for veterans and their families, so they receive all the benefits to which they are entitled.

We collaborate with community partners to ensure success for our veterans. Our supportive services are a hand-up to our veteran community by working with multiple national and community partners.

  • Email: Click Here

  • Physical Address: 160 Cascade Place, Suite 104, Burlington WA 98233

  • Mailing Address: 330 Pacific Place, Mount Vernon WA 98273

  • Flyers: Download

Program Overview

Veteran Assistance Funds (VAF)

We provide (limited) emergency funding to eligible veterans and their dependents. Our goal is to assist you through a temporary hardship and move you toward stability.

Types of emergencies financial assistance:

  • Food, gas, & clothing
  • Utilities with disconnect notice
  • Mortgage, rental, security deposit
  • Transportation assistance

Other VAF services:

  • Discharge documents/DD-214 requests
  • Transitional Housing Master Lease
  • Case management
  • Budgeting
  • Referrals and other assistance as appropriate

Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF)

We help veterans find and maintain housing, provide case management, and advocate for their needs. This program promotes housing stability among very low-income Veteran families who reside in or are transitioning to permanent housing. This program is is funded through the US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Partner Services:

Veteran Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)

We serve veterans experiencing homelessness, partnering with the Veterans Administration and Skagit Housing Authority. The Housing Authority offers Section 8 vouchers while the Veterans Administration covers case management with a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.

County Veteran Service Officer (CVSO)

County Veteran Service Officer CVSO

Department of Washington Service Officer DSO (DAV)

Veterans Document Support

  • Military medical record review
  • Military personnel record review
  • Disability Benefits Administration award letter review
  • Verification of service statements
  • Enrollment in VA healthcare and eBenefits

Disability Compensation and Pension Claims

  • Support as veterans advocate and liaison
  • Assist with VA benefits claims process
  • Help determine best options for a claim
  • Assist with claim tracking progress
  • Review additional VA request for action
  • Explain VA decision letters
  • Provide guidance on submitting decision reviews and appeals

Elderly & Disabled Veteran & Survivor Programs

  • Veteran continuous relief
  • Provides assistance for aid and attendance benefits
  • Provides assistance for housebound benefits
  • Assist surviving spouse with burial, disability indemnity compensation and survivor pension

Veterans Assistance Program (Skagit Public Health)

The Veterans Assistance Program is operated by Skagit County Public Health, in partnership with Community Action’s Skagit Vets Connect Program. Veterans Assistance is provided to make sure that the residents of Skagit County, who have honorably served our country, are never forgotten. Upon determining eligibility, the following services may be available to you and/or your family:

  • Veterans Document Support
  • Disability Compensation and Pension Claims
  • Elderly & Disabled Veteran & Widow Programs
  • Emergency Assistance
  • Other VAF services

Income Guidelines

Veteran Assistance Fund

Contact VAF Coordinator at (360) 588-5759 for income eligibility.

Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF)

These Guidelines are only for the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program.

Household Size Monthly Income
1 $2,513
2 $2,871
3 $3,229
4 $3,588
5 $3,875
6 $4,163

Who is Eligible for VAF services?

To qualify for assistance, the following criteria must be met:

  • Meet state definition of a veteran:
    • a person in the military for at least 6 months, or with a medical discharge
    • have a copy of their separation papers (i.e. DD 214),
  • Have honorable/general discharge (if you have a “other than honorable” or “bad conduct” discharge, you may be eligible for SSVF)
  • Must reside in Skagit County
  • Other restrictions may apply.

How to Apply

County Veteran Service Officer:

  • Skagit Vets Connect (160 Cascade Place Ste 104, Burlington, WA 98233)
    • Mondays from 1pm-3pm (except holidays) and Tuesdays 9am-11am
  • East County Community Resource Center (45770 Main Street, Concrete, WA 98237)
    • 1st Friday of each month from 9 am-3pm
  • Anacortes Senior Center (1701 22nd St, Anacortes, WA 98221)
    • Last Friday of each month from 9am-3:30pm

DAV Department Services Officer: (360) 588-5156. By appointment and walk-ins for assessments only.

Supportive Services for Veteran Families & Veteran Affairs Supportive Housing: Walk-ins through the Housing Resource Center.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 10am-3pm.

Veterans Assistance Fund: Call for appointment (360) 588-5759. Walk-ins for assessment Monday through Friday 9am-3pm.


Veteran’s Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255

Skagit County Veterans Homeless Care Line: (360) 588-5156