Community Action of Skagit County assists low-income people with accessing basic needs items such as personal hygiene, toiletries, food and clothing. We also assist with transportation needs such as local bus passes or, in some cases, a gas voucher.

Whenever possible we will refer you to places like food or clothing banks, hot meal programs, or Medicaid transportation because those programs can assist you throughout the year. We can also help you apply for Basic Food (Food Stamps or SNAP).


To qualify for Critical Needs your household income before taxes must be lower than 150% of the Federal Poverty Level.

In addition:

  • Gas vouchers are only for certain approved activities including scheduled medical appointments, transportation to/from a current job, day care providers, or a scheduled job interview. You must also have a valid driver’s license
  • Clothes vouchers are issued only for scheduled job interviews, work clothes for a new job, or homeless individuals who have few articles of clothing
  • Food pantry items are available in emergency situations when the food bank can’t be accessed
  • We can only assist with one voucher per eligible household

To Apply

Come in Monday thru Friday between 9a.m. – 4 p.m. Be sure to bring information for all household members including income, benefits, and proof of any employment activity or your scheduled appointment.

We can often help you outside those hours if you call us in advance at (360) 416-7585.

Emergency Shelters and Resources

Friendship House:

Domestic Violence Hotline: 1 (888) 336-9591

Mount Vernon Resource Center

East County Resource Center

  • Food

  • Clothing

  • Personal Hygiene Items

  • Toiletries

  • Local Bus Passes

  • Gas Voucher

Frequently Asked Questions

The services are meant to be for temporary, emergency help.  For bus passes, food, hygiene and toiletries we can assist several times a year based on need; for vouchers we can only assist once or twice per year.  Because the resources are limited we will also refer you to services for ongoing assistance.

Food vouchers are available in an emergency situation and provide non-perishable food items. We offer information to refer you to local food banks and meal programs. View food bank list in English | Español.

We will do our best to refer you to other services which may be able to provide ongoing help including Veterans Assistance, Basic Food Employment & Training, local food banks, transportation programs.

We do not offer motel vouchers. If you are currently homeless visit the Housing Resource Center Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10am to 3pm.

Visit our Housing Resource Center page for more information on available services.

Questions / Preguntas

For questions, please call Community Action at 360-416-7585.
Para preguntas, por favor llame a Community Action a 360-416-7585.