The Latinx Advisory Committee (LAC) is a subcommittee of the Community Action Board of Directors, charged with advising the agency on how to better serve and develop leadership among low-income Latina/o community members.
The LAC network includes 150+ representatives of 20+ nonprofits, businesses, educational institutions, and individual community members who serve the Latino community in Skagit and Whatcom counties. The LAC democratically elects a representative to the Community Action Board of Directors, who serves in a Client Sector position.
The Mission of the Latinx Advisory Committee is:
- Networking and relationship building.
- Advising Decision-Makers
- Strengthening Community through Supporting Leadership Growth.
Monthly meetings are held 8:15-9:30 a.m. on second Thursdays of every month, and include networking, issue discussions, and public policy listening sessions. Members share events and resources via email throughout the year. To get on the Latinx Advisory Committee Listserv, email email@example.com.
Farmworkers demonstrate 6 feet of social distance
The Skagit Latinx COVID Prevention Team is an offshoot of the Latinx Advisory Committee (LAC). This group meets weekly on Tuesdays from 1-2 PM. To get on the Latinx COVID Prevention Team listserv, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mission: Intervene in and advocate against racial, language and economic injustice of COVID-19
- Acknowledge history & truth of poverty inequities in Skagit County:
- In May 75% positive COVID-19 tests = 19% Skagit County population: Latino & Hispanic
- Take collective action: Share wisdom and experience, develop community organizing models & resources for services, and advocacy strategies for systemic change.